About

Friday, December 19, 2014

Story of a peanut seller



He used to stand by the side of Sukhrali bus stand, always clad in clothes a little more than what anyone would normally wear. In the summers, there would be an additional 'gamchha' on his shoulder, a small handkerchief in his vest's middle pocket and a small turban on his head. In the winters, his jacket would be thick enough make him appear an obese man, though with a shrunken face. With big eyes and long hair, protruding out from his winter cap, he had such a peculiar appearance that anyone who would see him once would not forget him ever. His name was Alok.

So I encountered him after a long time yesterday. With a large flashy smile, he welcomed me to him theli. My friend who had accompanied me picked up a few peanuts and started breaking them to take out the nuts inside. If found good, he would buy them for the bonfire party in the weekend. In the meanwhile, I was busy observing Alok's behaviour. He was preparing bhelpuri for a customer, while also murmuring some musical notes. Seeing me, he grinned and raised his eyebrows, as if to say what's up. I smiled back and just to divert from the uneasiness, I asked him to give me some 'Gur ki Gazzak'.

His theli contained almost every item same as any other peanut seller. A fourth section for bhelpuri, majority section for peanuts with a heating earthern pot over them, a small corner for 'revri', 'gazzak' etc, and in between, a lamp to keep the passersby interested in his product. However his lamp was gas lit one and I was a little curious why he was using this one when the white LED lamps are so much in trend. They do not require filling gas as well. And they come cheaper also.

I put out my curiosity to him. His smile further glowed as he saw that I was interested in his work. He replied that because of heat from this lamp, the namkeen and peanutes near the lamp do not get moisture. Their crispy texture is maintained. If he used led lamp, which does not give out any heat, the items would lose their crispiness in no time and his items would gain him very less money then. Moreover, in such a cold weather, the heat by lamp is a big saviour for a man standing from 6 to 10 in open air.

His answer pleased me. He had no superstition or laziness in changing his old source of light. It was a product of reason that he decided to continue with the gas lamp. It's a good feeling seeing dominance of reason in daily lives of people at any level, more so when you see reason coming out from a person who you never thought of would have a reason.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Type your mind