About

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Heart in her Mouth!



I am use to travelling a lot by Public transport, to be precise the Delhi Metro. Even if I am blind folded I am sure I'll be able to make it till my college because I follow a similar pattern each day. However I never get bored of this routine rather I never feel its the same because every day is different from the day before. Different timings, different set of people, different degree of rush, different smells, different discussion among co - passengers, different hand holding couples, different(ly) annoying behaviours, different moods leading to the most exciting part different fights! No chance of monotony. But how much of all this actually gets registered? In twenty minutes of travel there is so much of moment that we  acclimatized to it so easily and become a small part of all the happenings around. Beyond a point there is hardly anything affecting us. But ofcourse some experiences are different.

Yesterday, was just the same. I approached towards the lift heading towards the platform in a rush. I was the first one to enter it and was greed enough to wish that mechanics of the lift worked as fast as they can so that I could make it to the college exactly on time. As soon as the two sides of the lift were about to hug each other and carry me, a man came rushing and interrupted. He entered the lift saying something gibberish in his mouth. Then he shouted looking at a woman. This woman was his mothers age, she had a tall structure, draped in a saree, head covered with a warm shawl, she walked slowly, considering her age the speed was just appropriate. She entered and immediately held my hand. Held hand of a girl who is new to her, who probably dint even care about what was happening, who was busy untangling her earphones. As nothing mattered to me same was with her I guess. She dint care who I was, how will I react to a stranger aunty holding my hand given the fact she was with a relative/son/or some known person. Irrespective she chose to hold my hand.

But as she held my hand something happened. Something which drew all my attention towards her, I instantly reciprocated and covered her hands with mine, two sided connection was build within a fraction of seconds with a lady of my grandmothers age. As this happened, simultaneously the man who was with her kept shouting and said 'isiliye mujhe aapke saath kahin jana nahi pasand' (that's why I dont like going with you anywhere). To which she responded with a much wrinkled, scared face (looking at me) 'Beta kya karun darr lagta hai...dil ki marzi hun mein' (Child, what should I do? I am scared...I am a heart patient). Her body was trembling with fear, she moved towards the door as soon as they were shut thinking we have already reached. She could have easily taken the stairs and would have reached the platform in her own sweet speed but she took the elevator for the person who was continuously shouting in the background without realising her will and courage.

Never the less, I held her and said 'Aunty, kuch nahi hoga...aapko pata bhi nahi chalega' (Aunty, nothing will happen you wont even get to know). In those 15 seconds I was reminded of my mother, who is comparatively young, born - brought up in Delhi but refuses to use the lift if she is alone or even otherwise. She has confessed many times that she is scared of being stuck in there.

Finally, we reached and I ran towards the metro which was standing still on the platform without looking back, now time was rushing again in my mind. I made it to the college just in time!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Type your mind